Students and Parents
- Do I need a Tutor Index account to search for a tutor in my area?
- How do I find a tutor on Tutor Index?
- What questions should I ask when trying to find the right tutor?
- Do tutors go through a screening process before they are listed in the Tutor Index?
How do I contact Tutor Index?
At Tutor Index, we like hearing from our users. If you have feedback to give us or you have a question about our services, you can contact us by filling out our online contact form.
How to Register for an Account on Tutor Index
To register for your Tutor Index account, simply click on the "Register" tab in the menu bar at the top of the page.
Tutor Index will send a verification email to the address you input during the registration process. To fully activate your account, you must click on the link in the email. After you click on the link to verify your membership, you will receive a second email letting you know your account has been activated.
Searching for a Tutor
You do not need a Tutor Index account to search for a tutor in your area. However, when you register for your free Student account, you gain access to additional features that make your search easier. Signing up allows you to create a “My Favourites” list of tutors, make notes about each tutor, rate and sort tutors and post assignments on the Tutor Index Forum.
How to Find a Tutor
Tutor Index makes finding a tutor fast and easy. Our interactive site lets you search for tutors across Canada by subject or geographic area. There are four ways to search for a tutor on our site:
Narrow your search by entering a particular subject area and/or postal code in the header at the top of the page. Tutor Index will display all of the tutors who match your search criteria. The header search is the quickest way to find a tutor on Tutor Index.
Subject / Area Search
From the Tutor Index homepage footer, click on a subject or area you would like tutoring services for. The next page lists tutors that specialize in the particular subject or tutor in that specific area.
On the left and right panels of the website you will see Panel Ads for tutors. Click on these display ads to view a tutor’s profile page, Directory Listing or website, and find out more about the services they offer and where they are located.
For a list of online tutors, click on the “Online Tutoring” link in the header at the top of the page. Select the appropriate subject for a list of online tutors in that subject area.
Questions to Ask a Tutor
Choosing the right tutor isn’t just about finding someone who is qualified. It’s about finding someone you want to work with on a regular basis. Make sure you choose someone who will motivate you and inspire you to learn. Below is a list of questions you can ask each candidate to help narrow your search:
- How many years of experience do you have as a tutor?
- Do you have formal teaching experience? If so, how many years?
- Do you conduct private tutoring lessons, group lessons, or both?
- What subject matters do you specialize in?
- What grade levels do you tutor?
- Have you tutored other students my age? Do you have a list of references I can contact?
- How many other students are you currently tutoring? Do you have enough time in your schedule to help me?
- How and when can you be contacted if I have questions?
- What is your success rate? Have you seen an improvement in the students you have tutored?
- How many lessons do you typically recommend to see a noticeable improvement?
- Do you provide lessons from your home or do you come to the homes of your students?
- What are your rates?
Do tutors go through a screening process before they are listed in the Tutor Index directory?
Tutor Index does not screen, interview or recommend any tutor. We are not a tutoring company. Our online directory is designed to help students and parents connect with tutors in Canada. It is up to the individual searching for a tutor to ensure the candidate they choose has the appropriate qualifications and experience.